Thursday, February 16, 2012

I Spy a Consirvative


Today, I wanted to go book shopping. I only had a little bit of money with me but I wanted to see if I could find any cheap books that would catch my eye. I dragged Elijah, my youngest brother, to the books tore not far from our house. After about an hour or two of looking, I didn't find anything good so I decided that we would go to the Goodwill across the street to look at their selection of used books. Right away I found a copy of Ann Coulter's Treason. For those of you who do not know of Ann Coulter, she is an extremely Conservative, political, writer. She has a few other books such as Demonic, Godless, and a few others that you are free to Google.
My dad, being a big Conservative and wanting me to be one as well, has had me read one of her books and has helped me get hooked on her ideas and political views. So when I saw the book, I grabbed it. However, I wasn't too sure if I was going to buy it. I had already spent a little money earlier and I didn't have much left with me. I was asking Elijah if I should get it and we were going back and fourth in that sort of "should I get it?" "I don't know. If you want to." "I don't think I am gonna get it.""Ok then." "Wait. I don't know. Should I get it?" kind of way. I was on the verge of putting it back and waiting to get it another day when a man suddenly came up and started taking to us.
"Excuse me," he said, "would you like to get that book?"
Obviously, before he got to the words "that book", my first thought was that he wanted to sell the two kids in the middle of Goodwill some "unique merchandise". But once I heard what he asked, I was caught off guard. I just told him that I was thinking about it but I was probably gonna put it back. The next thing that he said surprised me even more.
"Well," he said again, "if you would like to get that book, I will give the lady at the counter the money and when you are ready you just tell her and you can go ahead and have that book. I will pay for it right now."
"You don't have to do that," I said.
"Well I didn't say I had to, did I?" he responded.
He promptly went to the front of the store with the money for the book in hand. Elijah immediately gave me a look and said, "don't get the book." I partly agreed with him and just decided to get the book with my own money. Just trying to play it safe. But it was only a few minuets later that the man came back with the receipt and a bag for me. Again, the further gesture surprised me.
"Now I want you to read that book good," he said, "and not get any ideas from the other side."
I couldn't help but smile and chuckle a little. The next thing I said to him I truly did mean.
"God bless you," I said.
"God bless," he said back.
This was, indeed, the interesting thing of the day. After the man had left, I saw the conversation between Elijah and I from his point of view. I wondered what he thought when he saw this teenage girl talking to her brother about whither or not to buy this book by a flaming Conservative. I am not too sure that people see that often. I wonder if he saw the next generation of voters before him and thought that he would make a contribution to our future views. I am not sure. But I know that I am thankful. I guess that Conservatives know a Conservative when they see one.

No comments: